This workbook is student-centered, focuses on reading and literacy development, and covers all the topics you need for a unit on the American Civil War! NO prep-work is needed; great to use for whole-class read alouds or during independent work centers. The workbook is also Google 1:1 compatible. Reading skill building activities (including Summarize, Main Idea, Draw a Conclusion, Cause & Effect, Annotations, and Guided Notes-Taking) are built into the workbook to enhance literacy development.
This workbook is easy to use in hybrid classrooms, with at-home learners, or fully in-person classes. And as a bonus- your students will love learning with Tony the Tourist!
- Vocabulary List
- A Unit Outline with page numbers
- Four Lessons: (*Topics within the lessons include: the Louisiana Purchase, Lewis and Clark Expedition, Manifest Destiny, the Texas Revolution/Annexation, Mexican-American War, the Oregon Treaty, Oregon Trail, California Gold Rush, advancements in communication and transportation, the Indian Removal Act and Trail of Tears, the Missouri Compromise, the Homestead Act, and more!). LESSONS:
- 1. An Overview of the North and the South (Geography, Economy, and Culture)
- 2. Causes of the Civil War (Sectionalism, Expansion & Compromise- Missouri Compromise, Compromise of 1850, Kansas-Nebraska Act- The Abolition Movement- a separate mini-book- the Election of Abraham Lincoln)
- 3. The American Civil War (Southern Secession, Advantages of the Union & Confederacy, Important People, Major Battles- First Battle of Bull Run, Shiloh, Antietam Gettysburg- Emancipation Proclamation & Gettysburg Address, Role of soldiers, women, and black Americans, Surrender at Appomattox.)
- 4. Reconstruction (Amendments 13, 14, and 15, Lincoln’s Assassination, Freedmen’s Bureau, Sharecropping, Jim Crow Laws, Compromise of 1877)
- Reading Passages with Guided Notes
- Reading Skills activities
- Study Guide with Answer Key
- Google 1:1 Compatible
Why stop here? Get an entire AMERICAN CIVIL WAR UNIT BUNDLE! The unit bundle includes this workbook along with an Activity Lapbook, PowerPoint, a Teacher Guide, and a Test.
Check out these other Google Compatible Student Workbooks:
TYPES OF MAPS
CONTINENTS & OCEANS
THREE BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT
MESOAMERICA: THE MAYA, AZTEC, AND INCA
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
Like this activity? “Tony the Tourist” is part of a growing series that offers a fun and interactive way to teach social studies to upper elementary and middle school students. Follow me, and you will be the first to know about new resources, freebies, and where Tony is going next!
Reviews are helpful! Go to “My Purchases” in your account, find this resource, and select the option to leave feedback. In return, you will receive “TpT Bucks” to use towards future purchases… it’s a win-win!